The motorway was shut at around 8.15am after a crash between Junction 42, for Lofthouse, and Junction 43, for the M621 interchange to Leeds. At around 8am, traffic was held after the accident on the northbound carriageway. The motorway has now been shut between the two junctions.
Traffic and travel service Inrix reports: “M1 northbound closed long delays, stationary traffic due to accident from J42 M62 J29 (Lofthouse) to J43 (M621 interchange) Leeds.
“Congestion to J41 (Carrgate). All traffic held around 08:00.”
A spokesperson for National Highways said: “The M1 in West Yorkshire is closed northbound between J42 (M62) and J44 (Leeds) due to a collision.
“All emergency services are in attendance. National Highways Traffic Officers are also on scene assisting with traffic management.”
National Highways has issued diversion guidance for drivers, with northbound traffic diverted via the hollow circle diversion symbol. They said:
- Exit the M1 at J42 (Lofthouse Interchange) and proceed to the end of the slip road.
- At the roundabout, take the third exit onto the M62 (Eastbound) and proceed along this road for approx. two miles to the junction with the M62 J30.
- At the junction, exit the M62 at J30 and proceed to the end of the slip road.
- At the roundabout, take the first exit onto A642 and proceed along this road for approx. one mile to the roundabout with the A639.
- At the roundabout, take the first exit onto A639 and proceed along this road for approx. two miles to re-join the M1 at J44.
At 8.50am, National Highways said all lanes were reopened but delays persisted.
They said on Twitter: “All lanes have now reopened on the #M1 northbound between J42 (M62) and J44 (Rothwell).
“Be aware delays remain in the area, as mentioned in aforementioned Tweet. Please allow extra time for your journey if travelling in the area.”
Congestion is expected to clear from the M62 westbound exit slip at junction J29 to roundabout between 9.30am and 9.45am.
Congestions at the M1 northbound entry slip at junction J40 is also expected to clear between 9.30am and 9.45am.