Fire crews called back to scene of Auckland fire to dampen flaming ‘hot pockets’


Fire and emergency services have been called to an industrial building in Auckland for the second time this week, after small pockets of fire emerged on Friday.

More than 100 firefighters rushed to Hitech​ Disposals in Neilson St at 1.55am on Tuesday, as fireballs burst from the building followed by potentially toxic smoke.

Three days later, at least three fire trucks are at the scene.

However, Martin Campbell, the incident controller at the fire on Tuesday morning, said this isn’t a cause for alarm.

READ MORE:
* Multiple fire crews responding to building fire in Penrose
* Penrose and Onehunga residents warned after chemical leak
* Crews battle large Auckland factory fire

“[Little fires] can pop up for days – it’s not unusual for there to be small hot pockets popping up a week later when they’re demolishing the remains of the building.

“Like your fireplace at home, the base can stay hot even if the fire has gone out, so this fire is like that, but on a bigger scale,” he said.

Fire and Emergency services return to the scene of Tuesday’s industrial fire in Penrose after small hotspots burst into flames.

Nathan Morton/Stuff

Fire and Emergency services return to the scene of Tuesday’s industrial fire in Penrose after small hotspots burst into flames.

Because of the magnitude of the Penrose fire, Campbell said he would expect it to stay hot for days.

There is a low risk of the fire intensifying, Campbell said.

A witness saw 'very large fireballs' explode from industrial fire in Penrose, Auckland on Tuesday.

Auckland City Fire Station/Supplied

A witness saw ‘very large fireballs’ explode from industrial fire in Penrose, Auckland on Tuesday.

On Tuesday, Adam Holland, 31, saw the fire from Maungakiekie/One Tree Hill at 2am.

“I was thinking that can’t be steam – it was too high and black and acrid.

“There were explosions. They looked like very large fireballs. I was up One Tree Hill and could hear them from there,” he said.

At least two schools temporarily shut their doors because of the Tuesday fire, after Fire and Emergency services issued a toxic smoke warning on Tuesday.

No one has been injured.

Leave a Comment